Saturday, January 20, 2007

The cost of a hobby

Due to the horrible weather that greated me when I woke up this morning (I'd show you but Blogger is broken) I never went to the garage. There's not a lot I can do there either though due to the fact that my car's still sandwiched in between Anders an Reijo's cars. Another reason is a lack of funding.

I never expected working with a 35 year old car would be cheap or even economical but it's not until now I really realized how much this will cost me.

Replacing the front windshield will cost me approximately $110 (800 Skr). I need a new motor for the wiper washers which will set me back around $150-160 (1100-1200 Skr) if I recall correctly (can't find the link for it now).

I'm going to need to replace all the rod and crankshaft bearings in the engine and I have no idea how much this will cost me but I'm guessing at least $420 (3000 skr), probably more. On top of this I also have to replace the headers as they're broken. These cost $280 (2000 Skr).

This is just what I have to replace and we're already talking almost a thousand bucks. Besides this I would really like to get the heater working and although these components are rather cheap ($30 for a fan motor and about the same for the heater core) it all adds up.

If I decide to replace my 3.73 rear axle gears with new 3.08 gears the gears alone cost $170 (1200 Skr). I'll have to have someone to do it for me as well wich most likely will cost me another $210 (1500 Skr) if not more.

I really need to find a job that pays more.

No comments: