Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Vacuum, fan blower motor, wiper motor and surprises

This past weekend I got quite a bit done so let me break it down a bit.

The vacuum

I decided to take a look at the lack of vacuum from point a to b and started in the engine bay. I quickly located the vacuum tank and in the process the reason for the absent vacuum; there's no hose connected from the engine to the vacuum tank.

Unfortunately I have no hose available but I'll buy me some at the local parts dealer and test this out this next Saturday. I'm not quite sure why the vacuum was disconnected but I'm hoping that it's not because it's busted.

I was told that the nipple in this picture is the place to get the vacuum from. The nipple seems a bit bigger than the connection at the vacuum tank but I should be able to work that out.

The fan motor

I've been working on the car with the battery disconnected for various reasons and after figuring out how to troubleshoot the electric part of the heater control I hooked the battery back up. Imagine my suprise and joy when the fan control worked!

My only explanation is that there must have been a lot of corrosion on the connectors of the control and that me taking things apart removed the corrosion. The fan won't operate at the max speed but I was told that this is due to a faulty high speed relay. These can still be bought as a new spare which is what I'll do.

The wiper motor

I decided to take the wiper motor out as well while I was at it. This is most likely the cause for the non-operational washers as there's voltage all the way to the connectors at the motor.

These' aren't immensly expensive - around $50 if I recall correctly (I can't find the source right now though) so I'll buy one of these as well.

The bearings

I got hold of a company that can help me grind down the cam axle to correct tolerances and asked for a rough price estimate. The guy I talked to said that it could cost anything between $300 - $600 depending on the amount of work needed. Well, it's better than nothing and not too far from what I expected.

The surprises

While mucking about at the carburator in order to locate a good place to get the vacuum from I noticed something odd. The previous owner has jammed the choke valve wide open for some reason.

I've always felt like the car didn't perform as it should and used up a lot of gas - this might be why. I got a cable for this from Reijo though and after the engine is back in I'll try and fab a plate for hooking the knob up to the dash.

Rummagin about in the engine bay I also noticed that the generator and the AC compressor are misaligned. Talking to the guys over at V8Buick I learned that my generator is missing a bracket which might be the cause of the misalignment.

On top of this I discovered rust where I do not want it; right below the front windshield.

The fun never ends.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Personally checking your car and its parts like Jeep AC condenser and other parts is fun thing to do. For you check check if they are defective, needs a repair or a replacement. Through this, car problems can be prevented and you can be sure that your car is working on a perfect condition at all times.

Martin said...

Well, to be honest I'm not sure if your comment is spam or a proper comment (due to the link) but thanks anyhow. :)