Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Changing the headers, not as easy as I thought

Over the past few days I've been trying to replace my old headers with the brand new from TA Performance. This has proven more work than I cared for.

Getting the old ones out and the new ones in was only time consuming as we needed to lift the engine and the real work started when I was about to reconnect the existing exhaust to the new headers.

First off I noticed that I couldn't get the exhaust out from under the car as it's all welded in one piece.

Then I notice that not only are the bolt holes rotated 180 degrees but the exhaust pipe is about 3.5 cm to short which means that I had to cut off the old adapter and weld the new one in place.

The problem with this is that the new headers points in a slightly different direction compared to the old ones which means that I need to realign the new adapter.

On top of this the new adapter is also too small - 6 cm in diameter compare to the old 7.5 cm - so even if I can fix the alignment it's not going to fit properly. The only option left is to buy a new adapter pipe.

So it won't be done for at least another week due to easter coming right up.

No comments: