Sunday, March 30, 2008

Changing the headers, part three

This is turning into a major pain in the ass.

The header on the passenger side went on without much of a problem - besides the adapter being rotated 180 degrees - but the one on the drivers side was almost impossible to get to fit properly.

After some cursing, thinking and frustration I realized that the pipe for the back-most cylinder was bent, moving the holes slightly when the other bolts were attached. This resulted in me using a big bar in order to adjust it temporarily until I could screw it in there.

On the passenger side I'm currently struggling with getting the engine bolts back on. The new headers are different from the old ones in more ways than one and where I previously could use my hand to hold the nut for the engine bolt in place I can't, no matter how I try, reach in there now.

So I need to remove the starter in order to get enough space for my hand. To do this the cooler pipes for the transmission has to be removed...

It never ends!

As for now the headers are on and the starter is almost coming loose - I just need some help with it as it's too cumbersome to replace on my own (I can do it but I usually end up messing up my already bad shoulder so I won't).

I bought some ready made adapters between the headers and the exhaust so that I could keep the amount of welding I had to on my own to a minimum. Stupid me thought that all headers have the same adapters but Hooker doesn't fit. They just cost a lot.

So now I have to build them myself anyhow. :(

1 comment:

CGS cat back exhaust said...

That's some nice work your doing there. There's no quitting until the job's finished, right?