Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Putting the dash back together

This Saturday I had planned to prepare for the engine removal but I realised that it would be better to get the dash back together first. Unfortunately working on the car felt like a chore the entire day.

I guess part of the reason for that feeling was that I still had some of my cold still in me. The fact that I was overconfident when I took the dash apart and had a really hard time recollecting where all the parts would go didn't make things better either.

I got the instrument cluster together except for some of the light bulbs in the instruments. The previous owners probably didn't care too much about them as I know I haven't misplaced any of them.

Another thing I couldn't reconnect due to my lackluster marking of wires is the switch to the rear window defroster. The helpful members on the V8Buick.com forum gave me some pointers that I'll try out this coming weekend.

At the end of the day I barely got the instrument cluster back in but decided to leave it at that as I needed to get working on the engine - I can work on the dash while waiting for the engine/engine room paint to dry.

The biggest headache after getting it back in was the fact that the generator light wouldn't go out even after I started the engine which means that either the generator is busted (and it worked before I stopped driving last year) or that the instrument cluster is borked.

I'll post that question to the board as well.

No comments: